Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Is Panama Safe For Solo Female Travellers?

 

Is Panama Safe For Solo Female Travellers

 Is Panama Safe For Solo Female Travellers ? Let’s talk about how to stay safe on your trip to Panama – you up for safety.You really don’t hear a lot of about Panama travel in the United States, do you whether you are a solo female traveler, a group, or family, these travel tips will set? The Central that is more-popular american of Costa Rica and Mexico appear to get most of the hype.

So whenever we decided to pack my bags for Panama, we ended up beingn’t entirely certain things to expect.Is Panama safe for tourists? Is Panama an inconvenience for solo travel that is female? And, just what can there be to do in Panama? were questions before I went that I received multiple times over. Well, now that I’ve returned from my journey, I’m ready to fairly share the dirt on what it is really like to travel as a solamente female in Panama, and if Panama is safe in general. I’ve got a complete great deal to share with you!

Is Panama Safe for Tourists? And Other Solo Female Travel Tips

Straight away, I’ll reveal to you my “travel style” and a bit of my background in this area. I used to reside in Costa Rica years being many, so I will say that I’m pretty comfortable with Central America generally speaking.

I used to talk Spanish pretty fluently, though I’m sad to say that my Spanish language abilities are not almost just like they used to be. I’ve been traveling more heavily within the Middle East and Asia lately, therefore I’ve not really had chance that is much practice.

We really had a little bit of trouble researching various regions and mapping out the places to see in Panama when I was planning my trip. It appeared like an entire large amount of information was very surface-level and didn’t thoroughly explain any of the details.

In this specific article, I’d like to dig deep on Panama security and give you tips about travel as being a solo female so that you, too, can have a safe and visit that is relaxing Panama.

Read also: Luxury Travel Luxury Vacations Absolute Travel

Panama Safety Information

The news that is good, Panama consistently ranks as one of the safest countries in most of Central and Latin America. It’s a pretty country that is calm and plenty of expats are flocking up to a couple of distinct regions because of this explanation (among others).

Panama has closer ties with the United States than I’d understood, and also uses the US Dollar as their form that is primary of. Paper currency shall all be in USD – even that which you take out from the ATM – but coins tend to be in Balboa.

Panama is both economically and politically stable, however you will notice differences which are vast wealth and poverty in the event that you travel the united states at length.

Before any journey, it is usually smart to look into just what events that are current be happening as we know that things can change quickly across the world.

Read also: Top 11 cheap places to travel solo female: Budget-Friendly Vacation Spots

Let’s Talk About Crime in Panama.

While the national country is in general very safe, that doesn’t imply that there is no crime.

Violent criminal activity against tourists is incredibly rare. Petty crime, like thefts and robberies, are more common. Panama, like anywhere in the global globe you may go to, has some areas being considered more secure and some areas being considered more seedy.

Pro Tip: Be sure to check out my travel that is top security and gear. This list covers everything from pickpocket-proof gear, individual safety, health and wellness, and more.

Most of the nationwide country is peaceful and safe. But, activities like drug trafficking, kidnapping, and gang violence do exist, much from it nearby the border shared with Colombia.

Read also: Which statement is true about regular exercise

Specific Areas to Avoid in Panama:

  • The Darien Province Caribbean Coast (Drug Trafficking)
  • The Mosquito Gulf (Drug Trafficking)
  • Colon (Gang Activity and Street Crime)

Is Panama City, Panama Safe for Tourists?

Nearly all of the certain specified areas you’ll find your self visiting in Panama City are safe. The areas surrounding the Panama Canal and the collection of roads known as Casco Viejo are safe to walk around, even as a solo female. (Casco Viejo is home to numerous of the restaurants and hotels that tourists flock to. It is definitely a area that is walkable more info are present through my link above.)

However, just outside of Casco Viejo, you shall find some seedier areas.

As the first riser I travel, I took some sunrise strolls through Casco Viejo and did find myself wandering into the El Chorrillio neighborhood very quickly that i will be whenever. Just outside of the restored facades for the town that is old the poverty-stricken and crime ridden blocks.

Now, I was here whenever the town ended up being still resting. And so I had no presssing issues whatsoever, and also got to find some fun graffiti and meet all the street cats. But, we am not blind to the understood fact that the crime from El Chorrillio can spill over into Casco Viejo.

Read also: popular solo travel destination in Italy

What is it truly like to Solo Female Travel in Panama?

I came across Panama to be a place that is pleasant walk around solo. I received way less of the catcalls that I am all too familiar with from my amount of time in Costa Rica as well as other neighbors that are north.

The worst we just ignored that I experienced were just a few of the normal hiss hiss sound you’ll here all over Central America, which. And, on my really time that is final I had a situation that made me laugh.

I was walking straight back from a convenience store solo, and a man is heard by me personally yell out in my experience “Congratulations!” I just kept walking because I wasn’t in the mood to engage. He continues “You look good.” I ignore. Then, “Do a ride is required by you?”

Farther later on he catches up in my experience. Pulls his car off the road and onto the neck, blocking my path. “Hello!” he says after I’ve currently walked after dark window that is open. Then, “Okay, thank you,” and he pulls off.

I laughed to myself because it absolutely was many harassment that is courteous experienced in a long time, LOL. And, that was the” that is“worst of it!

You may also read: The Cultureur A Blog on Luxury Travel and Lifestyle

Annoyances and frauds

The sole scam I met in Chiriqui) was in the buses that I ran into (as did several other tourists. We all reported a experience that is similar.

Several times, all four of us had come across the bus staff trying to charge us more than the ticket price. We had this happen on the bus that is real David, as did the other three, but one gal even had it happen at the primary bus terminal at the solution counter.

So, before you fork over any cash, check out the signage. You shall see the fee written for most destinations clearly on the wall. Check it first, head to the counter, and hold your ground you a various number if they give. On the bus itself, understand your coach fare ahead of time. And fork that is don’t anything more.

General Tips for Safe Travel in Panama

Panama is safe for tourists in general. However, these pointers will help to minimize any hassles that are feasible hiccups.

  • Show respect to local Panamanians and other travelers. This can go a way that is very long being treated with respect, yourself.
  • Come ready. Arm yourself with the travel safety items that are best to avoid any potential crimes before they happen.
  • Use Uber around Panama City instead of cabs whenever feasible. I hate to discourage business from the taxi motorists, but 100% of the right time, my Uber’s were cheaper than what the taxi quotes would be. You do require to haggle for taxis as there are no meters in Panama.
  • That said, when you do use a taxi, agree to a price before getting into the engine car or accepting a service. Check my post on Solo Female Taxi Safety Tips, too.
    Don’t wear fancy clothing or precious jewelry.
  • Panama is interestingly not since cheap as you'd expect. Use a charge card when possible, but you shall need to carry cash for some solutions. I was surprised at how businesses that are many services were fully cash based. Still, don’t carry loads of bills you. (check my post out on how to keep cash secure while traveling for useful info).
  • Don’t leave purses and bags unattended.
  • You truly can take in the water in much of Panama! So that’s awesome. Just keep refilling your bottles.
  • Research the neighborhoods and areas before booking your resort hotels. Avoid walking alone later at, especially in dubious areas night.
  • In the event that you are the target that is unfortunate of crime, do produce a police report. If it's a crime that is severe consider contacting your Embassy in Panama City.
  • Consider travel that is buying if you plan to take part in every adventurous activities or journey to remote regions.
  • Like I did, make sure you a) know where you are going and exactly how to navigate the coach system; and b) mention to a hotel or hostel staff what your location is going if you want to hike alone. Really, these go for group hikes, additionally.

Read also: Most Top 10 Beautiful Ancient Cities You Can Still Visit Today

Post a Comment

0 Comments